ykoriana: (loki baby is grabby!)
[personal profile] ykoriana
Anyone recommend a good book on Norse mythology? Right now I'm undecided between The Penguin Book of Norse Myths: Gods of the Vikings and Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals and Beliefs. Anyway, I'm not going to buy anything until I re-check the massive stash of mythology books I have at the parents' house, but I'm pretty sure I only have Norse stuff on one or two encyclopedia-ish tomes, and I'd like something deeper.

Do not be afraid to throw the really in-depth and complicated stuff at me. I'm the girl who memorized Latin names of butterflies at age eight.

Date: 2011-06-17 04:44 pm (UTC)
ext_4051: (Default)
From: [identity profile] senor-coconut-1.livejournal.com
My 11 year old took ALL my mythology books to her room and then we moved and she can't find them and I am PISSED. She even found my old Edith Hamilton book, damn it. That was from high school!


Don't get me wrong, I'm glad as hell she's into it, but I really want my books back.

This is obviously not a rec, but it seemed as good a place as any for a rant.

Date: 2011-06-17 05:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ykoriana.livejournal.com
When I was a kid we lived with my grandparents for a while, and my grandma had a slightly disorganized form of OCD and was always cleaning and storing my toys and books in godforsaken places. As long as it was out of sight it was fine by her; the storage room had stuff piled up to the ceiling, I'm not kidding. I'd go ballistic.

I still mull over an anthropology book she managed to misplace permanently when I was around ten.

Not particularly informative either, but I really understand you.

Butting my head in

Date: 2011-07-26 12:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] minthepsychic.livejournal.com
Just read your tony/thor fic, and was searching your lj for more.

Here is a link to a giant .pdf of all the Eddas, which is where most of what we know about Norse mythology comes from, translated into English and published in 1906.

http://fax.libs.uga.edu/PT7234xE211/1f/the_eddas.pdf

(It's probably easier to just go to http://fax.libs.uga.edu/PT7234xE211/1f/ and download the link from there.)

Headbutt complete.

Re: Butting my head in

Date: 2011-07-28 12:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ykoriana.livejournal.com
Oooh, thank you! I love old editions, this is great! :D

Profile

ykoriana: (Default)
ykoriana

Custom Text

Imported from a now deleted Livejournal blog of the same name. I keep this up for archival purposes only. Currently active on Twitter.